Mars Exploration News  
SpaceX Plans Reusable Seven Person Capsule

Up, up and away!!! Photo credit: Thom Rogers.
by Staff Writers
El Segundo CA (SPX) March 7, 2006
SpaceX said it plans to develop a reusable capsule that could carry a crew of up to seven into low Earth orbit, making it a competitor to assume some of the tasks of NASA's space shuttle fleet after it is retired.

The capsule, called Dragon, would launch via the company's Falcon 9 rocket. It "can be described as a mix between Apollo and Soyuz, but with the goal of reusability," Elon Musk, the company's founder and chief executive officer, told SpaceDaily.com in an e-mail.

Last week, SpaceX submitted its Dragon proposal to NASA for its Commercial Orbital Transportation Systems program. More than two dozen companies may be vying for the $500 million NASA has set aside to help the development of private orbital systems.

The company said the capsule could meet all four COTS requirements: the ability to transport both pressurized and unpressurized cargo, and the ability to fulfill both fully crewed and partly automated missions. COTS funding could accelerate Dragon's development, but SpaceX said the capsule's "realization is not contingent on the procurement."

The project has been quietly underway for nearly two years, funded at an undisclosed amount by Musk. Estimated development costs for the Falcon 1 and Falcon 9 rockets are about $100 million.

SpaceX has created a prototype of the capsule that includes "a thoroughly tested 30-man-day-life-support system." All design, manufacturing, testing and transport activities for the prototype have taken place at the company's El Segundo headquarters.

"I feel confident about being able to offer NASA an ISS servicing capability and am prepared to back that up with my own funding," Musk said. "It took SpaceX just over three years to build both a company and a rocket from the ground up, including engines, structure, avionics, two launch sites, regulatory approvals, etc."

He also said if the company had not been required to move its launch site to Kwajelein Atoll in the Marshall Islands, instead of Vandenberg Air Force Base in California, "we would very likely have launched by now. As it is, total time from zero to launch will be just over three and a half years."

Community
Email This Article
Comment On This Article

Related Links
Space X
Space Tourism, Space Transport and Space Exploration News



Memory Foam Mattress Review
Newsletters :: SpaceDaily :: SpaceWar :: TerraDaily :: Energy Daily
XML Feeds :: Space News :: Earth News :: War News :: Solar Energy News


Japanese Entrepreneur Next Space Tourist To Head Into Orbit
Arlington, Va. (SPX) March 6, 2006
Space Adventures Ltd. announced Monday that Japanese entrepreneur Daisuke Enomoto has signed a contract for an orbital flight to the International Space Station next September.









  • Could NASA Get To Pluto Faster? Space Expert Says Yes - By Thinking Nuclear
  • NASA plans to send new robot to Jupiter
  • Los Alamos Hopes To Lead New Era Of Nuclear Space Tranportion With Jovian Mission
  • Boeing Selects Leader for Nuclear Space Systems Program

  • SMART-1 Tracks Crater Lichtenberg And Young Lunar Basalts
  • Quantum Technique Can Foil Hackers
  • Noah's Ark On The Moon
  • X PRIZE Foundation And The $2M Lunar Lander Challenge

  • SpaceX Plans Reusable Seven-Person Capsule
  • Japanese Entrepreneur Next Space Tourist To Head Into Orbit
  • Heinz Condiments Treat Astronauts At The International Space Station
  • NASA Awards Sciences and Exploration Data Analysis Contract

  • To Pluto And Beyond
  • New Horizons Update: 'Boulder' and 'Baltimore'
  • New Horizons Set For A Comfortable Cruise Out To Jupiter And Pluto Transfer
  • Questioning Pluto

  • New Red Spot Growing Fast On Jupiter
  • Flow Of High-Pressure Form Of Ice Tells Tales Of Interiors Of Giant Icy Moons
  • NASA Budget Shuts Out Icy Moons Mission
  • University Of Alberta Scientist Offers Clues To Windy Jupiter

  • Venus Express Closing In On Destination
  • TPS Picks 'Postcards From Venus' Winners
  • Venus Mission Critical Engine Test Successful
  • Successful Venus Express Main Engine Test

  • Portrait Of A Pearl At Dusk
  • Cassini Catches Enceladus Transit
  • Saturn Moons In Ghostly Specter
  • Titan's Methane Mystery May Be Solved

  • New Millennium Mission Still Slated For March 14
  • NASA Awards 4.65M Hours Of Supercomputing Time To Researchers
  • Spacesuit Technology Reaching Earthly Applications
  • NASA Pushes Back New Millennium ST5 Launch To March 14

  • The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2006 - SpaceDaily.AFP and UPI Wire Stories are copyright Agence France-Presse and United Press International. ESA PortalReports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additionalcopyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by SpaceDaily on any Web page published or hosted by SpaceDaily. Privacy Statement